We are the Azure Data teams part of the C+E Azure organization. Azure data teams present interesting challenges in technologies such as big-data, cloud, storage and open-source. We build reliable, highly scalable and highly performing distributed systems for data analytics on Azure. We are looking for a senior thought leader with strong product/program management experience and a passion for data and analytics. This leader will help define and drive the product strategy and roadmap, and interact with senior leaders in Azure, the field, marketing as well as key decision makers within our customers. In this role you will shape and define product capabilities and experiences by deeply engaging with customers as well as by using data to understand engagement and quality of experience. You will guide other Program Managers in delivering great product experiences through inception all the way through engaged customer usage. You will create and lead with clarity while bringing a strong bias for action. The opportunities to significantly impact the team, Azure, Microsoft, and the industry are practically limitless. Candidates will be asked for a portfolio submission prior to interviews that cover a sample of previous work.
As a Principal Program Manager in Azure SQL Data Warehouse team, you will be responsible for all product lifecycle activities from vision to implementation, including customer development, product strategy and roadmap, coordination with engineering, and substantial pre- and post-sales field engagement. The ideal candidate is technical, data-driven, and enjoys working closely with customers.
• Product area – own and drive feature development in one of the core product areas (interactive queries, workload management, logical data warehouse and data virtualization, data loading).
• Functional design - Functional analysis that identifies the best options for compelling, easy to use software
• Engineering engagement - Close partnership with engineering to understand technical trade-offs in order to successfully influence product design
• Prioritization - Relentless prioritization across several competing objectives to make the optimal use of time and resources
• Customer development - In person and virtual interviews to understand users, priorities and scenarios customers are trying to implement, in workload management area
• Product and market strategy - Researching market segments, assessing competitive differentiation, creating decision frameworks, formulating hypotheses and advocating direction
• Launch and evangelism – create product demos and other technical sales tools; develop conference presentations and other collateral to highlight capabilities
• Sales support - Enable our field and directly support key opportunities
• Organizational leadership - Work with customers, support, and engineering teams to handle and resolve any critical customer issues that arise with our product
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering or Mathematics or Physics or IT technical discipline or in place of 3+ years of internship or 3+ years of industry engineering experience.
5+ years professional experience in product design or product management.
Previous product ownership, knowledge and background in at least one of the following: Databases, Data Warehousing, Analytics, BigData and/or Data Lake.
Great curiosity and willingness to question
High enthusiasm, integrity, ingenuity, results-orientation, self-motivation, and resourcefulness in a fast-paced competitive environment.
Love the next problem, the next experiment, the next partner
Have a deep desire to work collaboratively, solve problems with groups, find win/win solutions and celebrate successes
Get excited by the challenge of hard technical problems
Solve problems by always leading with deep passion and empathy for customers
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form at https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/accommodationrequest .
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.