Magee-Womens Hospital is currently hiring a Full-Time Staff Nurse to support the Med/Surg unit (5300) at our Oakland location.
5300 is a 28-bed medical-surgical unit that cares for a wide variety of medical and post-op patients and serves as Magee’s stepdown unit. We see an extremely diverse patient population, with ages ranging from 15-100+. Many patients receive insulin and/or Cardezim drips, and all of the unit’s 28 beds are housed in private rooms, each hardwired for telemetry monitoring. Our post-op patients may be recovering from orthopedic, vascular, urological, gynecological, or bariatric surgeries; we also frequently receive overflow surgical patients who do not have beds available on their specialty unit. Due to the wide variety of services we offer and medical conditions we see, 5300 is a great fit for graduate nurses and nurses seeking to build broad knowledge and/or gain new experience.
Our RNs work a rotating schedule to ensure 24/7 coverage on the floor.
The Professional Staff Nurse provides highly competent patient care and treatment while demonstrating empathy and a passion for learning. A role that requires independent judgment, fluent communication, and candid partnership, the Professional Staff Nurse establishes relationships with physicians, other care providers, patients, and patients’ families in order to achieve desired patient outcomes throughout the continuum of care.
A Registered Nurse and a member of the care delivery team, you will set the standards for the level and quality of nursing care, and possess authority and accountability for its provision. At all times, you will exemplify a commitment to the community and to the nursing profession.
As a nurse at UPMC, you will find:
· Competitive wages, with the highest BSN differential in the greater Pittsburgh area
· An incomparable benefits package, including tuition reimbursement
· Top clinicians, leading researchers, and the most modern equipment and technology in health care today
Title and salary will be determined based upon education and nursing experience. Six months experience is required for Professional Staff Nurses; Graduate Nurses may be hired at the Staff Nurse level until required experience is obtained (minimum salary for GNs is $24.72 per hour).
· Applies the nursing process within the framework of Relationship Based Care to create a healing environment. Formulates daily goals and a plan of care for patients that involves the patient as partner and considers the individual needs of the patient in a holistic manner.
· Demonstrates critical thinking in the identification of clinical, social, safety, psychological, and spiritual issues for the patient within an episode of care.
· Practices solid communication skills, and is able to articulate and translate the patient's condition to other care providers and to negotiate and make recommendations for changes in patient care and unit practices. Patient documentation is comprehensive and promotes communication between caregivers.
· Creates a caring and compassionate patient-focused experience by building healing relationships with patients, families, and colleagues.
· Incorporates national professional organization as well as business unit and health system goals to improve patient safety, quality, and satisfaction.
Demonstrates knowledge of adult learning principles (and/or teaching children if applicable) and applies in teaching of patients, families, students, and new staff. Provides detailed and appropriate teaching to patients and families to effectively guide them through the episode of care as well as transition to another level of care and/or home.
Creates an environment of open dialogue, inquiry, and continuous development by asking for feedback and improving practice.
Supports the development of students, new staff, and colleagues; may serve as preceptor.
Actively participates in department or unit-specific quality improvement efforts. Identifies opportunity for quality improvement to colleagues and management.
Takes personal responsibility in improving patient satisfaction with the quality of care and service.
Utilizes research and evidence-based practice to support improvement in clinical care: identifies research issues or articles related to clinical specialty or areas of interest, discusses opportunities for quality improvement at multidisciplinary rounds, and influences patients' plans of care.
Demonstrates accountability for professional development that improves the quality of professional practice and the quality of patient care.
Actively participates in unit-based shared governance and goal setting, and supports the change and transition process to improve quality of care and the practice environment. Adapts to change and demonstrates flexibility with the change process.
Serves as a highly engaged and full partner on the care team and responds willingly to care team member needs for assistance and partnership.
Participates in work that improves patient care and the professional practice environment.
Communicates with peers and management any safety hazards identified in the workplace.
Develops and maintains productive working relationships internally and externally by demonstrating accountability for actions, enthusiasm, motivation, and commitment to patients and colleagues.
Demonstrates an understanding of cultural differences and holds peers accountable for healthy relationships.
Maintains a conscious balance between work and personal life. Models safe work hours, time management, and healthy lifestyle.
0-1 year experience.
Completion of UPMC student nurse internship or student clinical transitions course at UPMC preferred.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
Though temporary permits are valid for one year from the date of graduation, not one year from issue of permit (or until the results of the examination are known at which time it becomes null and void), UPMC requires that GNs take the licensure examination within 4 months of their start date or they will be terminated or demoted from the GN position, at the discretion of the BU.
Act 34 Criminal Clearance
Basic Life Support or Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
Registered Nurse or Temporary Practice Permit
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. REQNUMBER: 693272