Assess the psychosocial needs of patients and their families and formulate an intervention plan which will enable the patients/family to utilize appropriate services within the limits of available resources and achieve improved levels of health and function based upon optimal social adjustment. This function provides continuity across the health care continuum between patients, families, providers and community.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). o not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
Completes initial psychosocial assessments and provides direct social work services to patients and their support systems based on referral and complexity of need.
Evaluates social and family dynamics, counsels, and engages the patient/support system in developing interventions and/or treatment plans.
Key Accountability: Patient Care
Provides assistance and advocacy, and follow-up in obtaining financial resources and
government entitlements: i.e. food assistance, FIP, Medicaid, etc.
Provides referral and/or coordination of resources and services.
Participates and presents educational programs both within the children’s hospital and the community on topics appropriate to the profession.
Provides consultation in the hospital and participates in community planning and/or programs related to the interests of patients and their families.
Participates in crisis intervention for timely stabilization of the environment, either patient/family or staff, to facilitate coping
Provides on call services for night, weekends, and holidays as indicated for continuity of care.
Demonstrates ability to consistently meet the department workload and schedule.
Utilizes a family-centered care approach (considering physical, psychosocial, spiritual, educational, safety, and related criteria) appropriate to the age of the patients served in the assigned service area(s).
Operates computer system to record and retrieve appropriate information.
Prioritizes dissemination of information using available technology.
Efficiently and accurately maintains patient records.
Demonstrates initiative to improve quality and customer service by striving to exceed customer expectations.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Masters Degree from an accredited school of social work.
Minimum of two years clinical experience working with multidisciplinary teams. Or clinical internship with Pediatric Social Work in medical model.
License from the State of Iowa (LMSW or LISW) . With approval from management must be licensed prior to or within three months after start date.
Communication-written & verbal
Planning and organizing skills
Technical aptitude – ability to learn new systems quickly
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Requisition ID: 2018-45533
Street: 1200 Pleasant St
Name: 3020 UnityPoint Health Des Moines
Name: Family Services- Meth
FTE (Numeric Only; Ex. 0.01): 0.01
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Hours/Shift: PRN
External Company URL: http://www.unitypoint.org